Before & After Getting Your Puppy is a simple, practical guide for anyone bringing a new puppy into the family. In clear steps, with helpful photos and easy-to-follow training deadlines, Dr. Ian Dunbar, who pioneered puppy classes and a loving style of dog training in the 1970s, presents a structured yet playful and humorous plan for raising a wonderful dog. The guide is based on six developmental deadlines:
• completing owner education and preparation
• assessing a puppy’s prior socialization and education
• teaching errorless housetraining and chewtoy-training
• completing a socialization program of meeting strange dogs and people
• learning bite inhibition
• a continuing program of ongoing training
In the first half of the book, Dr. Dunbar focuses on what the owner needs to know to select a great puppy. In the second half, he presents the crucial lessons the puppy must be taught during its impressionable early development. Over time, Dr Dunbar’s kind, positive program has been proven the most effective.
About Ian Dunbar
See more books from this Author
Published October 6, 2008
by New World Library.
Crafts, Hobbies & Home.