Do you puzzle over participles, argue over agreement, or throw up your hands over the comma? This back-to-basics overview of the English language includes just what you need to know to make a great impression every day—in school, in life, online, and on the job. Each chapter, covering all the essentials from parts of speech to pronunciation to common pitfalls, includes concise, easy-to-find definitions and explanations, countless examples, fun facts, and tips.
· Parts of Speech: Nouns, verbs, adjectives, and more form the building blocks of the English language. Don’t get tripped up by tenses, possessive pronouns, or adverbs ever again.
· Grammar: From the simplest sentences to the most complex, this quick guide to grammar shows how to construct phrases and clauses, fix fragments, maintain subject-verb agreement, and so much more.
· Spelling and Pronunciation: Avoid embarrassing gaffes and typos with this guide to common spellings, vowel and consonant sounds, and word stress.
· Punctuation: Eggs or egg’s, the Smiths or the Smith’s (or the Smiths’)—proper punctuation makes all the difference. Never misplace another comma, misuse another apostrophe, or mistake another semicolon for an ink smudge.
· Clear Usage: Create sparkling sentences by using ten key principles of great writing, such as Don’t use no double negatives, Steer clear of clichés, and It is thought that using passive voice should be avoided. (CK final keys)
· Pitfalls and Confusions: Avoid misunderstandings with this handy li
About Patrick Scrivenor
See more books from this Author
Published June 26, 2012
by Readers Digest.
Education & Reference.