"Vital new information for men diagnosed with prostate cancer!" --George Johnson, Director of the Informed Prostate Cancer Support Group in San Diego, the largest independent group in California
"I have had treatment for prostate cancer and have been thru the mill. If I were going to go through the process again, I would start with Dr Cohen's book." --P.C., independent review at Amazon.com
Updated for 2014, Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs 2014 offers 55 additional pages from the original top-selling book. Also, new information on PSA testing, how to obtain a new targeted biopsy, and the 16 additional centers now offering the key test: prostate-specific, Tesla 3 MRI. Fast reading, easy to understand, step-by-step, Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs 2014 takes you through the entire diagnostic process, answering your questions and suggesting others to ask, then describing 12 different treatment choices for you to consider. As one reviewer wrote, "Answers all of your questions and others you didn't know to ask." The new book also covers genetic testing available now, carbon-11 PET/CT scan for earlier identification of metastases, medication therapy. Studies have proven that most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not need surgery or radiation treatment. Find out how to determine whether you do or don't and what your other options are. Today, many doctors and patients are still not aware of the breakthroughs already being used at a few top cancer centers in the U.S. Don't be a statistic. Inform yourself so you can make the wisest choices for your care.
In this highly-praised book, you'll discover:
* Why 85% of men who get surgery or radiation for prostate cancer do not need it.
* Why a high PSA test does not necessarily mean cancer.
* How to tell if you really need a biopsy (many men don't need one).
* Why a targeted biopsy is superior and safer, and where to get one.
* Why the new prostate DCE-MRI is key to deciding on treatment.
* Genetic tests available today for accurate diagnosis and more effective treatment.
* Alpharadin, the new, targeted treatment for bone metastases.
Prostate Cancer Breakthroughs addresses:
* Why men should continue to get an annual PSA test.
* Why doctors recommend prostate surgery or radiation for men who don't need it.
* The tests you really need for a full picture of your prostate cancer.
* New treatment options your doctor may not tell you about.
This book will also help you determine:
* If you truly need surgery or radiation therapy (some men do, many men don't)
* If you are a candidate for active surveillance.
* If medication treatment instead of surgery/radiation is a valid choice for you.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: A Better Approach to Prostate Cancer
Section 1 : A Newer, More Accurate Diagnostic Approach
Step 1 : Why You Must Get an Annual PSA Test
Step 2: Blind Biopsy, Targeted Biopsy, or No Biopsy?
Step 3: Assessing Your Findings
Step 4: The Voice ofExperience: The Support Group
Step 5: The Dynamic, Contrast-Enhanced Prostate MRI
Step 6: The Color Doppler Ultrasound
Step 7: Genetic Diagnostic Tests that Are Available Now
Step 8: The New, Carbon-1 1 PET/CT Scans for Metastatic Prostate Cancer
Section 2: A Broader Range of Options for Treating Prostate Cancer
A. Aggressive Therapies
Option 1 : Prostatectomy
Options 2-5: Radiation Therapies - IMRT, SBRT (CyberKnife), Proton, Brachytherapy
B. Focal Therapies
Option 6: Cryotherapy
Option 7: Focal Laser Ablation (FLA)
Option 8: High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)
C. Non-Invasive Therapies
Option 9: Medication Therapy
Option 10: Active Surveillance: More Than Watching and Waiting
Option 11 : Alpharadin for Bone Metastases
Option 12: Too Good to be True? Proscar (Finasteride) to Prevent Prostate Cancer
Section 3: Weighing the Evidence and Making a Decision
Step 9: What Does Your Data Say?
Step 10: 30 Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Section 4: Conclusion
About the Author
About Jay S. Cohen
See more books from this Author
Published January 27, 2014
by Oceansong Publishing.
Health, Fitness & Dieting, Professional & Technical.