Short Story Press Presents Without Decent Restraint by Matthew Kilpatrick
“Without Decent Restraint” is a story about the duality of man, both the conflict between the mind and the body, and also how the desire to get what we want can put that very thing in danger. It examines whether or not the things we do, justified to ourselves as being done out of concern for others, can actually have a selfish motive. It explores the horrors that come to the surface when a man is confronted with an unthinking and dangerous version of himself, as well as other elements:
• A world ruined by a zombie apocalypse with a mysterious cause
• One man’s determined quest to seek out one thing in the midst of the chaos at any cost
• The protagonist’s desperation growing when his situation drastically changes
• His adaptation to his new situation, and learning the things he is still capable of doing
• A taut climax where his love and his strength will be put to the test
The stakes in any story such as “Without Decent Restraint” are always high. However, the stakes for the protagonist in this story aren’t just high, they are deeply, painfully personal. He will soon learn that he may be risking it all in order to determine that his family is safe, and that being dead doesn’t stop him from being responsible for their protection when the moment counts.
About Short Story Press
See more books from this Author
Published August 25, 2012
Horror, Literature & Fiction.