A groundbreaking discovery in heart disease prevention led the American Heart Association to hail this landmark research that pinpointed insulin as "the most statistically significant predictor of heart attack risk"--more than smoking, body mass index, triglyceride levels, and physical inactivity--and equal to cholesterol levels.
After years of medical research, the truth is out: too much insulin in your body can lead directly to heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and excessive weight gain. What causes insulin levels to rise? Foods rich in carbohydrates--not just starches, salty snacks, and sweets--but even low-cal foods once thought to be good for you, such as salad with low-fat dressing, pita bread, diet soda, and vegetarian lasagna. Like millions of Americans, you, too, may experience intense and recurring carbohydrate cravings--a compelling hunger for foods that, in time, will wreak havoc on your body, drive up your insulin levels, and seriously compromise your health.
Now Drs. Richard and Rachael Heller, the New York Times bestselling authors of The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and cardiovascular surgeon, Dr. Frederic J. Vagnini, share their breakthrough program that incorporates all the latest findings to help prevent and reverse heart disease and its many damaging risk factors. Compatible with dietary guidelines as recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society, The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program offers a safe, sensible, flexible, and easy-to-follow plan that will dramatically decrease or eliminate your cravings for high-carbohydrate foods in less than a week! Inside you'll discover
- The importance of eating one carbo-rich, nutritionally balanced Reward Meal a day in tandem with other low-carbohydrate meals and snacks
- How to balance insulin levels naturally with supplements, from chromium (which stabilizes insulin levels) to vitamin E (which modifies blood fats)
- Which type of activity is right for you--and the strategies to stick with it
- Helpful advice on over-the-counter remedies, stress reduction, and the complex carb alternatives to sweets
- The potential breakthroughs of tomorrow--including cutting-edge facts on soy, omega-3 oils, beta-carotene, selenium, and lipoic acid
- Names, phone numbers, and Web site addresses of resources that can offer you guidance, information, products, and support
- Delicious low-carbohydrate recipes, from frittata to seafood salad--as well as sumptuous Reward Meal recipes, from pancakes supreme to potted pork roast
- The energy, clarity of thinking, and peace of mind that freedom from an addiction to carbohydrates can bring
Clearly written, easy to implement into your busy life, and supported by inspiring true stories of triumph and transformation, The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program will show how you can have the carbohydrates you need and love and still break insulin's stranglehold on your heart's health now--and for life!
About Rachael F. Heller
See more books from this Author
Published August 1, 1999
by Ballantine Books.
Health, Fitness & Dieting, Cooking, Business & Economics, Professional & Technical.