Tripping the Prom Queen is a groundbreaking investigation into the dark secret of female friendship: rivalry.
Susan Shapiro Barash has exploded the myth that women help one another, are supportive of one another, and want each other to succeed. Based on interviews with women across a broad social spectrum, she has discovered that the competition between women is more vicious precisely because it is covert. She tells us:
* Why women can't and won't admit to rivalry.
* How women are trained from an early age to compete with one another.
* In which areas women most heatedly compete.
* How rivalry is different among women than among men.
* The differences between competition, envy, and jealousy.
* When competition is healthy and when it isn't.
* Why women find it irresistible to "trip the prom queen."
* Useful strategies to stop the competition and forge a new kind of relationship with other women.
Whether you've tripped the prom queen or been tripped yourself, you will discover an engrossing exploration of this female phenomenon, as well as a beacon of hope for better, more fulfilling relationships.
About Susan Shapiro BarashSee more books from this Author
Mediocre fodder for women's-studies classes and book clubs.Feb 01 2006 | Read Full Review of Tripping the Prom Queen: The ...
Lightweight report on how women's relationships are marred by competition, envy and jealousy.May 20 2010 | Read Full Review of Tripping the Prom Queen: The ...
Frasier is one of the most talented readers of nonfiction audio books (it wasn't a simple matter to make a book like Mary Roach's Stiff both edifying and wry, but Frasier pulled it off wonderfully). FApr 03 2006 | Read Full Review of Tripping the Prom Queen: The ...
The recent rash of books and movies about mean girls may seem to indicate a new phenomenon, but Longfellow observed about a certain little girl almost 200 years ago, "when she was good, she wasDec 12 2005 | Read Full Review of Tripping the Prom Queen: The ...
An aggregated and normalized score based on 27 user ratings from iDreamBooks & iTunes